John Lewis is 2013's most written-about Christmas ad
Sainsbury's may have topped Campaign's reader poll for the best Christmas ad but John Lewis was the most written about festive spot this year.
Data supplied to Campaign by Outbrain, a content discovery platform, showed there were 87 stories about John Lewis’ Christmas ad, "the bear and the hare", published between 1 November and 10 December 2013.
Morrisons’ Christmas ad featuring the brand ambassadors Ant and Dec was the second most popular, in terms of stories published across the 100,000 sites included in Outbrain’s network, with 21 stories.
Sainsbury’s was third, with 12 stories, followed by Marks & Spencer (7), Asda (4), Tesco (6) and Boots (2).
But in terms of page views, Asda and Sainsbury’s punched above their weight. There were seven times more stories published about John Lewis than Sainsbury’s, but the upmarket retailer only recorded roughly three times as many page views, at 146,104, compared with Sainsbury’s 49,090.
Similarly, there were just under 21 times as many stories about John Lewis as there were stories about Asda, but articles about "the bear and the hare" only earned nine times as many page views as those about the supermarket, which got 16,605 clicks.
Outbrain collected the data about Campaign’s top 10 Christmas ad by monitoring the volume of editorial content and across its network of 100,000 sites and the number of page views on sites that use Outbrain.
Media including The Guardian, CNN, Future Publishing, Sky News all use Outbrain to offer links related content to readers.
John Lewis’ ad also topped a Netmums poll to find the favourite Christmas spot among mothers in the UK.
To view Campaign's reader poll of the top Christmas ads, click here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)