Katy Mousinho's secret work weapon? Adopting a 'growth mindset'
A "growth mindset" helps when looking to convert setbacks into successes, says Katy Mousinho, head of insight and customer experience at Thomas Cook.
One constant in life and business is change. If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living. My secret weapon is making sure I always have a ‘growth mindset’. It’s a belief that your own strengths and qualities are not carved in stone, but can be cultivated. It’s about a love of learning, constant curiosity and, importantly, being ready to take risks, confront challenges and keep working on them.
Failure is not a problem; it’s about converting setbacks into successes. ‘Fixed-mindset’ people may be clever and successful, but they operate within a comfort zone, dislike challenge and are afraid of failure. Thus, they are sensitive about being wrong or making mistakes and never achieve their real growth potential.
I try to be mindful of how I interpret what people say to me and what is going on around me. You can choose how you react to a difficult situation – it can bring you down or you can proactively address it.
The growth mindset doesn’t always come naturally and I have to keep working at it. ‘Do one thing that scares you every day,’ is a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt that I keep in mind to make sure I’m challenging myself.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London