Adidas brings back Stan Smith shoe
Adidas's famous Stan Smith trainer is making a return to shops across the globe today, with the eponymous 1970s US tennis star who lent his name to the shoe backing its relaunch.
Adidas: former tennis star Stan Smith features in trainer return
The Stan Smith, which was discontinued in 2012, is available from today in an array of new, vibrant coloured heel tabs, while its white body and instantly recognisable design has remained unchanged.
Adidas is promoting the relaunch with marketing activity including a video entitled 'The Return of Stan Smith', which features Smith himself, celebrities including ‘Arrested Development’ actor Will Arnett, and brand ambassadors such as Andy Murray.
Social media will also form an aspect of the campaign – fans of the shoe can tweet an image of themselves using the hashtag #stansmith for the chance to win a personalised pair of trainers.
The shoe has become iconic since its 1970s advent, worn by an array of celebrities over the decades from the worlds of Britpop and rap, and stars such as David Bowie and John Lennon.
In his heyday, Smith won tournaments including Wimbledon and the US Open. His endorsement of Adidas’s tennis shoe featured his face and signature being printed on the tongues of every pair of Stan Smiths, although when the picture was taken, he had shaved off his trademark moustache.
The new line of Stan Smiths is available to buy online and in stores.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing & Communications Executive AF Selection Up to £25,000, Derbyshire
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)