Burberry sales increase 12% after increased marketing investment
Burberry's like-for-like sales rose by 12% for the three months to 31 December, with its retail revenues increasing 14% to £528m.
Burberry: like-for like sales up 12% in final quarter of 2013
Angela Ahrendts, chief executive at Burberry, has credited the performance to an increasingly strong brand and an investment in marketing.
She said: "In the all-important festive period, we are pleased with our 12% comparable sales growth.
"This performance reflects continuing strong brand momentum and our team's intense focus on retail execution, supported by a planned increase in investment in marketing, customer service offline and online and our retail portfolio."
The increased investment in marketing has resulted in the brand increasingly turning to outdoor advertising as it withdraws media spend from print.
Burberry also continued its strategy of focusing on social media over the festive period, with its Christmas activity including a "full festive takeover" of social media sites, including Twitter, Instagram and Chinese sites Sina Weibo and Youku.
Burberry also celebrated "25 days of Christmas" by publishing images and videos on Instagram each day.
Activity was supported by a film that showed London smothered in snow, set to Tom Odell's 'Hold Me' track.
Burberry also said a "halo effect" of the TV ad campaign that launched the Brit Rhythm for Men's aftershave helped the Burberry Brit clothing range "increase penetration".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1