Bear and the hare ad sends alarm clock sales soaring at John Lewis
Sales of twin-bell alarm clocks jumped 55 per cent at John Lewis in the week after one was featured in the retailer's Christmas campaign.
John Lewis: the twin-bell alarm clock as featured in the retailer's Christmas ad
A spokeswoman for the shop said sales of twin-bell alarm clocks rose 55 per cent on the previous week after John Lewis released its Christmas ad, called '"the bear and the hare", on TV on 9 November 2013.
The ad – set to Lilly Allen's cover of Keane’s ‘Somewhere Only We Know’ – tells the story of a hare that buys a bear an alarm clock, so that the latter can wake from his hibernation and enjoy Christmas.
The twin-bell alarm clock was the only product featured in campaign.
John Lewis enjoyed one of its most successful years in 2013. In the week after the ad was released, the shop’s takings were more than £101 million – the earliest it had broken the £100 million weekly sales marker in the run-up to Christmas.
Overall sales rose 6.9 per cent on a like-for-like basis on the previous year in the five weeks leading up to 28 December, and John Lewis has already broken the £4 billion sales barrier for the financial year.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)