Davos: Europe takes on Silicon Valley with launch of two start-up projects
Telefonica and Orange have partnered with universities, financial institutions and the European Commission to launch two initiatives to help Europe take on Silicon Valley.
Neelie Kroes: vice-president of the European Commission
Neelie Kroes, the European Commission vice-president, who heads the commission for the EU digital agenda, launched a start-up accelerator and think tank at the World Economic Forum in Davos this morning.
The Startup Europe Partnership accelerator and European Digital Forum think tank hope to create "thriving start-ups and global internet companies" to make
She said: "Politicians don’t create jobs, entrepreneurs do. We’re going to support that mindset and push European start-ups beyond their comfort zone.
"And then we’re going to get out of the way. Sometimes the best thing a political leader can do is get out of the way."
Alongside O2-owner Telefonica and
The Startup Europe Partnership aims to help start-ups break through a "national glass ceiling into global maturity". Its secretariat will be led by San Francisco-based start-up support charity Mind the Bridge Foundation and UK-based innovation fund Nesta.
Meanwhile, the European Digital Forum will aim to give entrepreneurs a voice in policy debates and will produce an annual Digital Economy Index to measure how open
The European Digital Forum secretariat is led by Belgium-based think tank the Lisbon Council and Nesta.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...