Davos: Europe takes on Silicon Valley with launch of two start-up projects
Telefonica and Orange have partnered with universities, financial institutions and the European Commission to launch two initiatives to help Europe take on Silicon Valley.
Neelie Kroes: vice-president of the European Commission
Neelie Kroes, the European Commission vice-president, who heads the commission for the EU digital agenda, launched a start-up accelerator and think tank at the World Economic Forum in Davos this morning.
The Startup Europe Partnership accelerator and European Digital Forum think tank hope to create "thriving start-ups and global internet companies" to make
She said: "Politicians don’t create jobs, entrepreneurs do. We’re going to support that mindset and push European start-ups beyond their comfort zone.
"And then we’re going to get out of the way. Sometimes the best thing a political leader can do is get out of the way."
Alongside O2-owner Telefonica and
The Startup Europe Partnership aims to help start-ups break through a "national glass ceiling into global maturity". Its secretariat will be led by San Francisco-based start-up support charity Mind the Bridge Foundation and UK-based innovation fund Nesta.
Meanwhile, the European Digital Forum will aim to give entrepreneurs a voice in policy debates and will produce an annual Digital Economy Index to measure how open
The European Digital Forum secretariat is led by Belgium-based think tank the Lisbon Council and Nesta.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- Category Manager - Herbs, Spices & Ready Mixes McCormick Ltd £ Competitive + Benefits , Haddenham, Aylesbury