Justin King steps down from Sainsbury's
Sainsbury's has today announced that chief executive Justin King has decided to step down from his role after 10 years.
Justin King: announces departure from Sainsbury's
King will leave the company at its AGM in July and Mike Coupe, currently group commercial director, will take over as the new chief executive.
After a decade at the helm of the supermarket, King said: "This was not an easy decision for me to make, and in truth it will never feel like the right time to leave a company like Sainsbury's.
"It has been a privilege to have led the Company for the past 10 years and I am incredibly proud of our achievements in that time.
"It is the 157,000 colleagues that make Sainsbury's so special and I would like to thank them for their amazing efforts over the past decade in making Sainsbury's great again.
"I am confident that under Mike's leadership the business will go from strength to strength."
Sainsbury's chairman said that Coupe was a unique talent. "No one knows Sainsbury's - or the industry - better than Mike. He has worked hand-in-hand with Justin over the past decade and has a proven track record of success making him the natural choice to take the company forward."
Coupe added: "It's an absolute honour to be appointed as the new CEO of Sainsbury's in this, the Company's 145th year, and at a time when thanks to Justin's leadership, we have been consistently outperforming the market.
"I very much look forward to building on that success for our customers, colleagues, suppliers and shareholders."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London