Scarlett Johansson quits Oxfam over SodaStream Super Bowl ad
Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson has terminated her relationship with Oxfam after being criticised about her endorsement of Israeli-based soft drinks firm SodaStream.
Scarlett Johansson: stars in SodaStream ad
Johansson appears in a SodaStream TV ad (below) which was due to be shown during this weekend’s Super Bowl in the
Oxfam, which has used Johansson as an ambassador since 2007, subsequently came under fire from pro-Palestinian campaigners over the fact that SodaStream has a factory in a disputed Israeli settlement in the
The charity issued a statement that said it was "considering the implications" of Johansson’s new partnership with SodaStream, in line with its policy that Israeli settlements in the
Johansson has now opted to end her ties with the humanitarian group, citing "a fundamental difference of opinion" over the matter.
A statement read: "Scarlett Johansson has respectfully decided to end her ambassador role with Oxfam after eight years.
"She and Oxfam have a fundamental difference of opinion in regards to the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement. She is very proud of her accomplishments and fundraising efforts during her tenure with Oxfam."
SodaStream intends to broadcast the banned ad in the UK next week on Monday 3 February on Channel 4.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)