Super Bowl 2014: The best ads and tweets from the night
What the Super Bowl XLVIII lacked in entertainment was made up by blockbuster advertising starring opera-singing Matrix stars, Clydesdale horses and "drunk" tweeters.
Laurence Fishburne: stars in Super Bowl ad for Kia
Doritos' competition to invite the public to create an ad came up with this gem. This ad allegedly cost just $200 and took eight hours to make. It features a little boy called Jimmy and his Dorito-fuelled "time machine".
Morpheus from the Matrix has apparently hit hard times since he helped Neo save the world and is now an opera-singing valet.
Probably the most schmatlzy ad from the night, this "best Buds" ad features a puppy bonding with a Clydesdale horse. Horse lovers can find out more about the equine stars of the ad at the Budweiser blog.
The soft drinks giant divided opinion of ultra-patriotic Americans with a 60-second spot featuring people from around the world singing 'America The Beautiful'.
Debbie Sterling, a Stanford engineer, has created a toy construction set for girls in this ad that continues to help the brand punch way above it weight. It includes the lyrics from the Slade classic 'Cum on Feel the Noize'.
America was aghast when it appeared the person in charge of the JC Penney Twitter account was drunk-tweeting, but it all turned out to be a stunt to advertise the retailer's mittens.
Toughdown Seadawks!! Is sSeattle going toa runaway wit h this???— JCPenney (@jcpenney) February 3, 2014
Who kkmew theis was ghiong tob e a baweball ghamle. #lowsscorinh 5_0— JCPenney (@jcpenney) February 2, 2014
Super Bowl still lacks the global impact of other sporting events, but US-owned Cadbury got in on the action witha tweet about "that US Rugby stuff".
Niall Horan from One Direction
The winner of the Super Bowl ad blitz may well have been Niall from One Direction who used the event to plug the band's upcoming gig at the stadium.
The tweet received over 80,000 retweets and 125,000 people favorited it.
Watching the Super Bowl! And all I can think of is! " I can't believe we are playing that stadium in the summer" mind blowing shit— Niall Horan (@NiallOfficial) February 3, 2014
Follow Matthew Chapman @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London