Warburtons top London baker claim slammed by Hovis and Kingsmill
Warburtons has been rapped by the ad watchdog after Hovis and Kingsmills' owners brought complaints against its claim of being the capital's biggest baker.
Warburtons: rapped by the ASA over the claims made in a national press ad
A national press ad stating, "No 1. Now London’s biggest bakers", riled Premier Food Groups and Allied Bakeries, who challenged whether such a claim could be substantiated.
The complaints were made while Premier Foods still owned the Hovis brand, while Allied Bakeries is the owner of the Kingsmill brand.
Warburtons hit back at its competitors' complaints, claiming that its statistics were verified by a global independent market research company. It claimed Warburtons had the biggest market share in the capital, with Hovis and Allied Bakeries trailing in second place.
However, the Advertising Standards Authority said that Hovis had provided its own data from its own independent market research sources, which contradicted Warburtons’ data.
Not only this, but the ASA noted, among other details, that consumers would interpret the word "bakers" to include a retailer that sold freshly baked products and "would not interpret it to mean a retailer that exclusively offered wrapped bakery products".
In addition, Warburtons did not verify the source of the data in the ad. It is banned and must not appear in its current form again.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- Category Manager - Herbs, Spices & Ready Mixes McCormick Ltd £ Competitive + Benefits , Haddenham, Aylesbury