Ikea hails social responsibility efforts with its first sustainability campaign
Ikea is launching its first sustainability drive in the UK to help "revitalise" the brand as it seeks to draw attention to its social responsibility efforts.
Ikea: unveils TV campaign by Mother
The retailer’s sustainability commitments will be highlighted in a TV advert that launches tomorrow as part of a wider 'The Wonderful Everyday' campaign.
Mother created the TV ad that shows a "beautiful forest" with each tree artificially illuminated until most the forest is visible, after which there will be an "intricate rhythmical dancing of lights".
The sustainability push has been a long time in the pipeline after marketing manager Peter Wright told Marketing back in October 2012 that he hoped negative headlines including editing-out images of women in its Saudi Arabia catalogue and a probing of allegations into spying on staff in France did not "stick".
Wright argued the company did not "put profit over social responsibility" and cited its sustainability efforts as proof the brand’s moral compass remained intact.
Speaking about the new campaign, Wright said: "It’s also an opportunity to explain a little about who we are and what we stand for as a brand, and sustainability is a big part this.
"Ikea’s roots stem from the thrifty, fresh thinking and resourceful folk of Småland, Sweden, where not wasting resources has always being part of the Company’s DNA."
The voiceover on the ad claims that by 2016 the company will only sell energy efficient LED lightbulbs.
Other sustainable initiatives from the company include a commitment to sourcing 100% renewable electricity in the UK and partnerships with Unicef, Save the Children, WWF and the Woodland Trust.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Account Director Twist Recruitment £50000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Brand Manager - Drinks Trace c. £58k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West)...
- Senior International Agency Sales Manager - Mobile Salt £70000 per annum + strong bonus and great bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Head of Marketing The RSA Circa £60,000 per annum (commensurate with skills and experience) + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)