Fashion emerges as best-performing segment of ecommerce, claims report
The UK online fashion sector has grown 258% in five years, making it the best-performing segment across ecommerce, according to research from IMRG.
London Fashion Week: begins tomorrow
The fashion category of the IMRG Capgemini e-Retail Sales Index outperformed other categories for four of the five years between January 2009 and December 2013, with sales growing nearly 17% year on year, totalling £91bn in 2013 and accounting for 21% of all online retail.
Andrew McClelland, IMRG’s chief operations and policy officer, said: "We have seen changes in the way consumers buy clothing, such as the rise of mobile devices and click-and-collect, which have contributed to an increase in confidence when shopping online.
"This report will help fashion retailers understand industry-wide trends and how they might affect their sector and own performance."
According to IMRG, fashion retailers were slow off the mark in the early days of online retail "for a variety of reasons but today, eretail represents major opportunities for both multichannel and pureplay fashion retailers".
The news comes a day before London Fashion Week kicks off, with some high street and online retailers revealing their marketing activity earlier this week.
Yesterday, Marketing reported that Topshop is to live-stream a virtual reality experience of its London Fashion Week show taking place at the Tate Modern.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...