Play.com and Kobo owner Rakuten buys messaging firm Viber for £540m
Rakuten, the e-commerce company that owns Play.com and e-reader brand Kobo, has acquired messaging and VoIP company Viber for $900m (£540m).
Rakuten: e-commerce company buys Viber
The acquisition is Rakuten’s latest move into the digital content space following the acquisitions of Kobo, on-demand streaming site Wuaki.tv, and Singapore-based video streaming site Viki.
Viber has a user base of 300 million registered users and the acquisition is designed to enable Japan-based Rakuten to "penetrate new markets with multiple digital content offerings", in conjunction with its e-commerce and financial services platforms.
Hiroshi Mikitani, Rakuten chairman and chief executive, said: "Viber delivers the most consistently high quality and convenient messaging and VoIP experience available.
"Additionally, Viber has introduced a great sticker market and has tremendous potential as a gaming platform. Simply put, Viber understands how people actually want to engage and have built the only service that truly delivers on all fronts. This makes Viber the ideal total consumer engagement."
Rakuten claims to be the third-biggest e-commerce company and is centring all its services around a unified ID membership database that rewards customers with the Rakuten Super Points loyalty programme.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London