Brands should not try and 'chance' live events, says Twitter's new sales chief
Rather than try and "chance it" when using Twitter during live events, brands should plan around expected moments, according to Dara Nasr, the newly promoted sales director of Twitter UK.
Dara Nasr: the sales director of Twitter UK
Nasr spoke to Campaign as brands such as Burberry took advantage of London Fashion Week on Twitter and ahead of this evening’s return of the UEFA Champions League and tomorrow night’s Brit Awards ceremony.
He said brands should prepare for "expected moments like there is a goal or it goes to penalties". He continued: "You should be able to plan around those. You could try and chance it and you might get lucky, but it's better to focus on the expected."
"Oreo's 'dunk in the dark' [during the blackout at last year's Super Bowl] was superb," Nasr said, but it was part of a wider Twitter strategy that included activity around Halloween and the Grammys.
Nasr joined Twitter as head of sales in November 2012 after five and a half years at Google as a sales head, working on YouTube and display. He started his career in TV sales, working at ids from 1999 to 2005.
As sales director, Nasr replaces Bruce Daisley, who was promoted to UK country director in September last year.
Twitter’s main advertising products include promoted accounts, promoted trends and promoted tweets. Nasr said it was important brands complemented their own Twitter feeds with promoted products to increase their reach.
Nasr said: "If you use Twitter and not promoted products, the people who will be exposed [to your campaign] are your own followers. Paid media space allows you to tap in to new audiences.
"Your followers follow, but what about people who don’t necessarily want to follow but are pertinent for your brands?"
Activity booked around the Brit Awards includes VO5, the Unilever haircare range, sponsoring video clips from the live broadcast on the official Brit Awards Twitter account through the social network’s Twitter Amplify programme.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing Manager Ibiza Rocks Salary: £30K-34K DOE, Based in London head office
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)