BA beats Rolex to top consumer Superbrands list for first time
British Airways has become the first travel brand to top the annual consumer Superbrands list, usurping Rolex, while Apple dropped seven places and out of the top 10.
British Airways: tops Superbrands list
Consumer Superbrands 2014: Top 20
- British Airways
- Marks & Spencer
Rolex slipped to second place after two years at the top, closely followed by Coca-Cola, the BBC and Heinz in third, fourth and fifth positions respectively.
Microsoft and Google remain in the top 10 in sixth and seventh place, but Apple plummeted from second to 14th place, despite topping the CoolBrands list in September last year. Facebook, which previously ranked at 14, dropped out of the top 20 entirely.
Boots entered the top 20 for the first time since the consumer element was introduced to the survey in 2006, at 15th place, two rungs below Amazon, which also landed its first spot in the top 20.
Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the Superbrands council, said: "British Airways has always performed well in the survey, but over the last two years, its reputation has climbed to new heights, partly through the cementing of its successful ‘To Fly. To Serve.’ positioning and the residual goodwill from its effective 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games association.
"On the flip side, Apple and the other tech giants have suffered, with Apple particularly struggling to meet arguably unrealistic high expectations."
Cheliotis added that it was "increasingly clear" that in the short term, Apple was struggling to maintain its innovation record in the eyes of consumers, although "the fall of its US peers suggests a growing lethargy among consumers toward the American tech giants in general".
The list has been compiled by surveying more than 3,000 members of the British public, in a process overseen by The Centre for Brands Analysis on behalf of Superbrands UK.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...