Dixons Retail and Carphone Warehouse enter merger talks
PC World and Currys-owner Dixons Retail and Carphone Warehouse have announced that the two companies have entered talks over a potential merger.
Dixons and Carphone Warehouse enter merger talks (Carphone Warehouse pic: Colin Stout)
In a trading update, the retailers confirmed they were in "preliminary discussions" over a merger.
The statement said that discussions are at a "very preliminary stage", and that there is "no certainty" that a merger will go ahead. It added that "no decision" has been taken on the potential structure of such a merger.
Mobile phone retailer Carphone Warehouse operates over 2,000 branches across
Over the past 12 months, the two companies have collaborated over a joint "Tablets for Schools" CSR initiative. Carphone Warehouse chief executive Andrew Harrison and Dixons chief executive Sebastian James claim the scheme will help "bridge the digital divide" in the nation’s schools.
A desire to "optimise" branch networks is behind the merger, according to CSS Insight founder Shaun Collins.
He said: "The rationale for this move is clear: both retail chains offer similar ranges of connected products and are looking to optimise their retail networks. It emphasises our view that devices have become a continuum, differing only in screen size.
"Despite the shift to Internet sales, a presence on the high street will continue to be important, and a new entity has the potential to reshape mobile retailing in
After a rocky period, Dixons has pushed back into profit in recent years on the back of an increased focus on after-sales services.
Last month, the company revealed a five-fold increase in underlying profits in the
Earlier this year, Dixons appointed former O2 marketer Gary Booker as its chief marketing officer, overseeing its brands in
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, London