MWC 2014: Samsung places design ahead of 'eye-popping' tech for Galaxy S5
Samsung last night launched the fifth Generation of its Samsung Galaxy S series, the Galaxy S5, and claimed the latest iteration of the series is more focused on "design and performance than eye-popping technology".
Samsung: Galaxy S5 is unveiled in Barcelona
J K Shin, the president and chief executive of Samsung’s mobile and IT division, laid out the vision for the phone in front of a packed crowd during Barcelona’s Mobile World Congress.
The 'Samsung Unpacked' event was held away from the main conference venue at the Centre de Convencions Internacional de Barcelona and was opened by a performance by the Barcelona Symphony Orchestra, as the company sought to emulate Apple’s theatrical product launches.
The launch of the Galaxy S5, which is rumoured to have been brought forward following a drop-off in sales of its Galaxy S4 predecessor, was supported by a launch of the Gear Fit wearable device.
Samsung’s Gear Fit wrist band is a curved device that claims to offer "the most comprehensive fitness tools available" and can be operated as a standalone device or a companion to a smartphone.
Shin said it had been designed for "consumers who want to be stylish on the go [and is] an ideal way to check your heart rate when you exercise".
Jean Daniel Ayme, the vice-president of European telecommunications operations at Samsung, described the Galaxy S5 as representative of Samsung’s ambition to "improve human life".
The device will have biometric security that will allow users to unlock it with a fingerprint, following in the footsteps of Apple, which Ayme says will remove the need for the user to enter security answers such as their mother’s maiden name or the name of their pet.
Samsung Galaxy S5's biometric security will allow users to login and shop at any merchant that accepts PayPal on mobile and in-store with only their fingerprint.
The camera can focus in 0.3 seconds, which Samsung claims is the best time across the mobile industry, and the battery life has been improved to allow ten hours of web surfing and 12 hours of video playback.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)