We Built This City rises up the charts after Three ad
Starship's 1985 hit song 'We Built This City' has climbed to number 25 in the official UK single downloads chart after being featured in Three's latest TV campaign.
Three: TV campaign boosts fortunes of Starship's hit song
In the week dated 8 March, ‘We Built This City’ climbed 152 places in the Official Charts Company's UK Downloads Top 40 chart, from number 177 to 25. The next highest climber was Kid Ink’s ‘Show Me’, which rose 40 places to number 36.
‘We Built This City’ also made it to number 26, up from number 184 on the previous week, in the Official UK Singles Chart, which also includes physical sales.
The song’s sudden surge in popularity comes after it was features in Three’s new TV and online campaign, which was created by Wieden & Kennedy London.
The TV ad, called "#singitkitty", shows a young girl miming to Starship as she cycles around a cul-de-sac with a CGI cat in her bike basket. The campaign also includes digital executions, where people can create their own versions of the Three video.
The campaign was released on 21 February 2014 and is a follow-up to Three’s 2013 viral smash hit, "the pony", which was also created by Wieden & Kennedy London.
Neil Christie, the managing director of Wieden & Kennedy London, said: "Great to see Starship's fist-pumping anthem back in the charts; it shows that we really do love silly stuff. But the line 'Marconi plays the mamba' still troubles me.
"How and why does the famed Italian electrical engineer 'play' an arboreal snake?"
‘We Built This City’ was first released in November 1985 and reached number one on the US Billboard chart and number 12 in the UK.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...