John Lewis celebrates 150th anniversary with campaign focusing on customer stories
John Lewis is planning to celebrate its 150th anniversary with a "multi-faceted" marketing campaign in May, including a TV push, which will seek to tell the stories of the role that the department store has played in peoples' lives.
John Lewis prepares 150th anniversary celebrations
Speaking to Marketing, marketing director Craig Inglis described the activity as "without doubt the biggest, most complex campaign we’ve done outside of Christmas".
"I want to make sure we do justice to the stories of the role that John Lewis has played in peoples’ lives over 150 years.
"We want to keep it grounded in the fact that we’re a shop and it’s all about the products but also make sure we do justice to that role," he added.
Inglis said that, while the marketing campaign would include a TV ad created by Adam & Eve/DDB, it would be amplified beyond traditional media.
"Our big learning from ‘Bear and Hare’ was the power of amplifying the core idea and taking it into our in-store and online environments. So the great learning for ‘150 years’ is we need to make sure we bring it to life in that environment."
On May 2 1864, John Lewis opened its first store on London's Oxford Street.
Earlier this month, John Lewis announced its plan to launch a technology incubator called JLAB that will give one start-up a £100,000 investment in return for an equity stake in their company.
The retailer has partnered with entrepreneur Stuart Marks, who invests in companies specialising in big data, for the incubation project that will provide the start-ups with mentors from John Lewis and run from June to September.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Head of New Media Department for Work and Pensions Salary £60,030 to £72,880., Westminster
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire