Royal Mail marketers face axe in round of 1,600 job cuts
Royal Mail is cutting 1,600 jobs within its operational and head office managerial function as part of a £50m cost-cutting drive.
Royal Mail: 'we love parcels' by Beta London
A spokeswoman confirmed it is likely to affect marketers who hold managerial grade roles, but could not confirm the number of marketers who would lose their jobs.
The job cuts come as part of a "continuous focus on efficiency" that follows the privatisation of the company at the end of last year.
The reduction in marketing staff head count comes despite the Royal Mail launching its first TV ad campaign in six years over Christmas, to promote the dedication of its postmen and women.
Royal Mail claims it will also create around 300 "new or enhanced" roles meaning there will be an overall net reduction of 1,300 jobs.
The company is keen to stress there is no impact on frontline employees, including postmen and women, or the services Royal Mail provides to customers.
Job cuts aim to deliver annual cost savings of around £50m, with the redundancy packages and other associated costs expected to hit £100m.
Moya Greene, chief executive officer at Royal Mail, said: "We are continuously improving our efficiency, whilst maintaining our high quality of service
"We need to do so in order to effectively compete in the letters and parcels markets. This is the best way to ensure the continued delivery of the universal service and the good quality jobs we provide for our people."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)