ASA upholds Asda complaints against Aldi
Aldi has had an ad banned by the Advertising Standards Authority after its rival supermarket chain Asda made a series of complaints.
The TV ad by McCann Manchester for Aldi’s "swap and save" challenge featured a woman going about her family life and shopping amongst shots of her speaking directly to the camera.
A voiceover made claims about how she had saved £45 a week against various products and was accompanied by text at the bottom of the screen stating: "88 out of 100 people saved. Challenge completed between 01/04/13 and 26/05/13."
Asda challenged the ad on five different factors. These included whether the ad would mislead consumers as it was unclear what the comparisons or savings claims were, the fact that the type of products could not be verified and that the comparative data period was out of date.
The ASA upheld all the complaints against the ad and ruled that it must not be shown in its current form.
The regulator also told Aldi to ensure that the basis for comparisons were made clear in its future ads and to provide substantiation for any savings claims made on the basis of these comparisons.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London