Proposed merger heartens Decaux
Jean-François Decaux, the chairman and co-chief executive of JCDecaux, has said he hopes the proposed "merger of equals" between Publicis Groupe and Omnicom will pave the way for consolidation among media owners.
Decaux: wants greater freedom for media owners to consolidate
The 54-year-old, who has led JCDecaux’s UK operation since the departure of Jeremy Male last year, told Campaign at Advertising Week Europe that he would welcome the merger if it meant media owners were granted similar freedoms to consolidate.
Decaux said: "Ten years ago, the Office of Fair Trading blocked our bid for [a] group [More O’Ferrall] by taking a market definition that is very narrow. They felt our main competitor was just the outdoor guy around the corner. Today, our main competitor is Google, ITV."
Commenting on the formation of a $35 billion marketing communications group, Decaux said: "Overall, I think it’s a good thing. In a global world, scale matters. It matters in our space and it matters in the agency space as well.
"The small companies on a local basis in our space don’t add any value.
"We have more than 200 people investing in research. We have R&D in Paris, Berlin and Singapore. Creativity is not the monopoly of large companies, but you need large groups to lead the game."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)