Government ready to ban branding on cigarette packs
The UK Government is to press ahead with plans to ban all branding on cigarette packs in England and Wales, after a statement from Public Health Minister Jane Ellison that the move is likely to have a "positive impact".
Cigarette packaging: the government is set to ban branding next year
Ellison yesterday told MPs that an independent report had concluded that a move towards plain packaging for cigarettes was "very likely to have a positive impact" and would help prevent children from taking up smoking.
She added that draft regulations and the results of a consultation were likely to be published later this month, with the aim on of bringing the ban into law before the General Election in May 2015.
With Northern Ireland and Scotland also both likely to follow suit, it mean the UK is likely to become the second country after Australia, and the first in Europe, to implement a full ban on cigarette-pack branding.
Major tobacco firms such as British American Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco and Philip Morris have called on the Government to reappraise its plans, questioning whether plain packs will have an impact on smoking rates.
Philip Morris said in a statement: "The Government should not rush to proceed without holding the full impact assessment they have promised. Plain packaging has failed to cut smoking rates, has not deterred youth smokers and has been accompanied by a dramatic growth of the black market."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London