Mobile adspend doubles to break £1bn barrier, says IAB report
Mobile adspend almost doubled in 2013 to break the £1bn mark and now accounts for £1 in every £6 spent on digital advertising, according to figures from the Internet Advertising Bureau.
Mobile adspend: increased to £1.03 billion in 2013
The growth helped the total UK digital adspend to hit a record £6.3bn, an increase of 15% year on year, claims data from the IAB’s Digital Adspend report, which was conduced by PricewaterhouseCooper (PwC).
Mobile growth increased by 93% like for like to £1.03bn in 2013, from £529m in 2012, with social media adspend now accounting for almost a quarter of mobile adspend.
Social media advertising spend on mobile increased to £221.8m in 2013, while across digital overall, social media advertising grew 71% to £588.4m.
Dan Bunyan, manager at PwC, said: "Mobile’s huge rise is down to advertisers taking advantage of key developments in the way people use their mobile devices – particularly social media platforms.
"Mobile is now more of a story telling tool for advertisers rather than just an information device. Almost half of mobile adspend is accounted for by TVs biggest advertiser categories – consumer goods and entertainment brands – which is testament to how important mobile has become for brands."
Data from UKOM/comScore shows more than a third of people (36%) who access the internet are doing so via tablets, as tablet ownership grew 63% year on year from 11 million to 17.9 million Brits in February 2014, according to comScore.
Tim Elkington, director of research and strategy at the IAB, said: "There’s still a lot of work for the industry to do when it comes to tablet advertising.
"Spend on ads designed specifically for tablets is growing fast, but it’s still a very small part of the pie – despite the increase in tablet ownership, and the crucial role they play in people’s internet use at home. The tablet has moved from the offices of early adopters to the nation’s living rooms and advertisers should be following suit."
The Digital Adspend report found that tablet-dedicated advertising has grown more than 400% to reach at least £34.4m in 2013, which is up from £6.8m in 2012.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)