Motorola marketer Andrew Morley departs as Google gears up for sale to Lenovo
Andrew Morley, Motorola's vice-president and general manager, has resigned after seven years at the business and is set to take on either a marketing role at a "very well known European luxury brand" or a managing director post at a mobile business.
Andrew Morley: leaves Motorola after seven years
Morley told Marketing he would not immediately take on a new role, but would instead take some time outside industry to do charity work.
As a result of his departure, Morley’s colleague Marcus Frost, Motorola’s EMEA and APAC senior marketing director, will be given an extended remit to cover marketing in the UK. Morley said that Motorola is looking internally and externally for a candidate to take on his managing director responsibilities.
Morley, who remained with Motorola in the wake of its 2012 acquisition by Google, said he decided to leave the company following the $2.9bn (£1.7bn) deal with Lenovo.
He said: "A decision was taken three months ago to sell Motorola to Lenovo.
"What became clear was that to do anything to make the business a success would require me to sign up for another five years, which was a big ask. So I decided to do something else."
Morley described the parting of ways with Motorola and its new owners as "very amicable", adding: "I’ve got two specific options but I’m going to take my time and work at a homeless shelter near where I live – Watford New Hope Trust – for a couple of weeks."
Morley joined Motorola in 2007 as vice-president of marketing for Europe, Middle East, Russia, Africa, India and Asia.
Before that, his roles included group marketing director of Harrods, chief commercial officer and deputy chief executive of Cable & Wireless Group, BSkyB director of sales and marketing for UK and Ireland and Ford European marketing director.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing & Communications Executive AF Selection Up to £25,000, Derbyshire
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)