From 'hashbrowns to hashtags', McDonald's UK finally declares it's lovin' Twitter
It has long been a notable absentee in the Twittersphere, but McDonald's' UK business has finally signed up to join the social network.
McDonald's UK: is 'open' on Twitter
The fast food brand announced the arrival of @McDonaldsUK yesterday (14 May) with a tweet saying, "Hello Twitter! From hash browns to hashtags, it's all here. Follow us for news, promotions and fun stuff. #imlovinit"
Its second tweet promoted the latest burger in its ‘Great Tastes of America’ range. It read: "Are you tucking in to a Texas BBQ burger today? #GreatTastesofAmerica"
McDonald’s' US Twitter handle, @McDonalds, has been on the network since 2009 and has 2.34 million followers. However, the brand’s European Twitter feed, @McDonaldsEurope, has been going since 2010 and has only recruited just over 3,000 followers.
In the US, McDonald’s experienced something of a Twitter backlash when it used a paid-for tweet incorporating the hashtag #McDStories to promote the quality of its products. However, the hashtag was hijacked by Twitter users who spread messages about their own worst fast food experiences.
It follows news last month that long-shunned brand mascot Ronald McDonald is to be revived for a global social media campaign entitled ‘Fun Makes Great Things Happen’. The clown character has also been given his first make-over since 2005.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Partnership Manager Movember Competitive, Clerkenwell, London (Greater)
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Antrim
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London