McDonald's asks public to create products with 'burger builder' crowd-sourcing tool
McDonald's is asking the public to design a new burger from 80 ingredients as part of a crowd-sourcing competition that will see the winning burgers appear in 1,200 McDonald's restaurants.
McDonald's: unveils the Burger Builder website
A bespoke ‘Burger Builder’ website provides tools to allow people to design their own version with an option to share the burger online to gain public votes.
The 12 most popular burgers will be assessed by a judging panel consisting of England rugby star and 'Celebrity Masterchef' winner Phil Vickery, McDonald’s staff, an "independent expert" and a member of the public.
The judging panel will choose their five favourite burgers, which will appear in all McDonald’s branches over a five week period starting in October.
Alistair Macrow, senior vice-president and chief marketing officer at McDonald’s UK, said: "Customisation and digital engagement are becoming an integral part of how consumers interact with companies and we want to continue to innovate as a brand."
McDonald’s crowd-sourcing initiative comes the week after it set up its first Twitter page in the UK with a tweet promising "news, promotions and fun stuff".
The 80 different ingredients mean there are more than one million possible combinations with ingredients including guacamole, chorizo and pineapple chunks,.
The ‘Burger Builder’ tool was created by Razorfish and traffic will be driven to the site via a YouTube masthead takeover, pre-roll ads and digital display ads.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing & Communications Executive AF Selection Up to £25,000, Derbyshire
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)