Viral review: Dannii Minogue's Etihad Airways luxury ad is like a 'bad home video'
Be On reviews the latest viral video from Etihad Airways.
Etihad Airways: Viral with Dannii Minogue fails to hit the spot
Celebrity coupled with extreme luxury should be a recipe for engaging content, but Etihad has made it anything but. 4/10
Travelling in style has hit new heights. Take a trip with Etihad and you could enjoy a three-room private cabin with a personal butler and chef on one of its brand, spanking new A380 planes.
While The Residence, as the airline calls it, looks truly amazing, the video promotion is quite the opposite. The three-minute piece of content is presented by TV’s Dannii Minogue, who takes the viewer on a tour of the sky-apartment.
On the face of it, celebrity showcasing extreme luxury beyond your wildest dreams should be a recipe for engaging content, but Etihad has managed to make it anything but.
The execution leaves a lot to be desired and Dannii’s poor performance gives it a feeling of a badly homemade video. The singer-turned TV presenter, who is the brand’s ‘Guest Ambassador’ (whatever that means), delivers a series of exaggerated lines and squeaks that come across as very staged.
Of course, her presence in the video does act as a hook but it’s probably the cabin’s features that will keep them watching.
With this type of video, it all comes down to great footage and an authentic engaging performance; unfortunately both of those factors fall short here.
The airline gets a few points for having the idea in the first place; though it’s simple, it’s a step into the right direction. If only it had been delivered better it could have reached a much wider audience. While Minogue’s fans will probably add some views, this particular airline vid ain’t gonna fly.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Account Director createselect Up to £45K pa, depending on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- CRM Manager AF Selection £40,000 - £45,000 + Benefits, South Manchester