Tesco launches 'very transparent' current account
Tesco has stepped up its presence in the banking sector with the introduction of a "very transparent" current account through its Tesco Bank brand.
Tesco: introduces ' very transparent' current account
The supermarket said the current account will reward customers with Clubcard points "when they spend, and rewards for customers when they don't".
Points will be awarded to customers wherever they use their Tesco Bank current account card, both in and outside of Tesco shops. It comes with a mobile app and customers will be able to deposit money at more than 300 Tesco stores.
Tesco promoted the upcoming release of its new current account in May through a social media campaign, with the message, "A handy saving here. A useful extra there. It's always been the Tesco way, from stores to Clubcard points. Tesco Bank is just the same. After all, we're 100% owned by Tesco."
Barry Higgins, Tesco Bank's chief executive, told the BBC the new account is "very transparent".
He said: "Customers tell us they are very tired of the smoke and mirrors and the need to pay attention to the small print. We are setting out to be very clear and transparent."
"I don't think it's likely that it's an impulse buy and that we would have high levels of switching overnight. But I hope, in time, that this will become a very good product for very many Tesco customers and beyond."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)