Stephen Fry and Martha Lane Fox welcome arrival of 'dot uk' domain
Stephen Fry and Martha Lane Fox have signed up as supporters of a social marketing campaign to promote the debut of internet domain name suffix .uk, which goes live today (10 June).
Stephen Fry: backs the launch of .uk
Not-for-profit internet registry firm Nominet, which manages all domain names ending in ".uk" – such as co.uk and org.uk – is promoting .uk as a more "progressive domain" for digital natives, businesses, organisations and individuals.
Fry, a self-confessed geek and technophile, has been an ardent supporter of .uk, having blogged about it back in 2007. Fry’s own website becomes the first to adopt the new GLTD (Generic Top-Level Domain), and from today he will be blogging about the news and promoting posts on his Twitter feed.
Created by Nominet and agency Saatchi & Saatchi, the campaign is also backed by: Lastminute co-founder Lane Fox; 18-year-old computer programmer and entrepreneur Nick D’Aloisio; and classical pianist James Rhodes - all of whom will be guest blogging on Fry’s blog.
Fry said: "All those hours I’ve spent, if you add them up, typing dot co dot uk, an extra three keystrokes that I could well have done without. Well they're over. Dot UK is finally here!"
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)