Australia: Around the world, creative style
John Mescall, executive creative director, McCann Australia talks to Campaign about creativity in the Belgium and shows us an image that illustrates the country's creativity at its best.
When I think of a defining characteristic that influences creative output in Australia, I keep coming back to this: independence of thought.
This is a country and culture that in many ways is still finding itself, and we don’t really have any fixed idea of what kind of creative output we’re meant to produce. We have no past masters, no real heritage to live up to.
Whether it be food, art, literature or commercial creativity such as advertising, we are keenly aware of our relative isolation and independence. So we give ourselves the freedom to explore – to "have a go", as an old Australian expression so succinctly puts it.
I think, when you combine geographical isolation with an adventurous spirit and a natural inclination towards independent thought, you get the perfect environment in which to do great work. Especially in an age when the entire global community is so damn connected and uniqueness is so hard to find, you really need to come at things with a free spirit in order to create anything that will stand out.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)