Google unveils health tracking platform Google Fit at I/O developer conference
Google has upped the stakes in its rivalry with Apple with the launch of Google Fit, a technology platform that will collate and manage user data from a variety of sensors and health trackers.
Google: used its I/O conference to unveil developments including Google Fit platform
The announcement was one of many new development reveals made at Google’s I/O conference. It is an emphatic retort to Apple, which earlier this month used its Worldwide Developers Conference to announce the opening up of more than 4,000 new APIs to developers, including for Google Fit rival HealthKit.
Google Fit will enable apps to access user data across numerous devices and applications to compile a fitness profile. The company said it is working with third-party fitness brands including Nike and Adidas, while a partnership with weight-loss app Noom marries weight, fitness and eating data to advise users on how to lose weight.
Google's I/O event sees the firm now open its Google Fit platform to further developers, with the software development kit becoming available in a few weeks. It has already been working with Android hardware manufacturers including HTC and Motorola.
Google has posted a video on YouTube featuring yesterday’s announcements.
Among the other announcements Google has made, was the official launch of Android TV; while earlier this week the tech giant revealed that it had opened its Nest technology to developers, and that Google Glass was going on sale in the UK for £1,000 a pair.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...