Are we approaching the end of the Wonga story?
In the aftermath of the fake lawyer letters scandal and the resulting £2.5m compensation bill, Wonga's reputation is in tatters. In fact, its very existence is in jeopardy as an impending legal battle with regulators begins to form.
For many, including certain politicians and the church, these revelations have been met with gleeful delight.
Despite strong customer approval ratings and numerous awards, Wonga has never shaken off its vocal critics.
What’s wrong with Wonga?
Given a chance, the payday lender could table a strong case. It protects borrowers from loan sharks or losing possessions to pawn shops, and allows some to avoid extortionate late bank fees.
But, Wonga’s intentions and story have consistently been high-jacked, rightly or wrongly, by the naysayers.
A short animated film, from PRWeek and Electric Airwaves, delves into the Wonga story and asks "What Can They Do?". As it stands, another scandal might just finish it off.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)