Yahoo's Mayer: 'We are not satisfied with our Q2 results'
Two years after Marissa Mayer became chief executive at Yahoo, sluggish advertising revenues still continue to dog the internet company, leading to its worst quarterly performance since she took over.
Marissa Mayer: chief executive of Yahoo
Yahoo's revenue from its display advertising business fell 8% last quarter to $436 million (£255m), compared with the same quarter a year ago, as it continues to lose ground to market leaders Google and Facebook.
Overall, Yahoo's revenue fell 4% last quarter, year on year, to $1.08 billion, operating income dropped 72% to $38 million (£22 million), largely attributed to one-off restructuring costs, and net earnings for the second quarter were down 19%, to $270 million (£158 million).
Mayer said: "Our top priority is revenue growth, and by that measure, we are not satisfied with our Q2 results. While several areas showed strength, their growth was offset by declines."
There was positive news surrounding Alibaba, the private Chinese ecommerce company Yahoo has invested a stake in, which is preparing for a much anticipated initial public offering.
Yahoo, which holds a 23% stake in Alibaba, now has to sell only 140 million shares in the IPO, down from the previous 208 million.
Conservative estimates expect Alibaba will be valued at $150 billion (£88 billion) when it goes public, more than five times Yahoo’s current $35 billion (£20 billion) market valuation.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London