Rajar Q2 2014: Capital returns to London commercial radio top spot
Double-digit growth in 95.8 Capital FM's reach since the last quarter has helped the station claw back the lead from Magic 105.4 in London's radio listening.
Lisa Snowdon and Dave Berry: co-hosts of 95.8 Capital FM's breakfast show
Global-owned Capital achieved a 15.2 per cent boost in its reach to record a weekly audience of 2.20 million, compared to just over 1.9 million in the first quarter.
The significant rise for Capital was helped by a slight 0.7 per cent dip for Magic 105.4 quarter on quarter. The Bauer-owned station fell back into second place in London with a weekly reach of 1.93 listeners.
Only last quarter, Magic 105.4 had managed to take pole position overall for the first time since 2012, with a reach of 1.94 million.
The good news for Capital London included a return to form with its breakfast show hosted by Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon, the winners of Breakfast Show of the Year gong at the Radio Academy Awards 2014 in May.
Although the pair’s weekly audience had slipped down to 923,000 in the first quarter of 2014, listeners have since returned in droves, with 1.11 million of the capital’s radio audience tuning in each week during Q2, up 0.6 per cent year on year.
The next most popular breakfast show in London in the three months to 22 June was Heart London’s Jamie Theakston and former Spice Girl Emma Bunton with 821,000 weekly listeners, down 7.0 per cent year on year.
Magic 105.4’s Neil Fox attracted 786,000 Londoners, a decrease of 1.7 per cent year on year and slipping into third place from second in the first quarter of 2014.
However, overall, none of the major commercial London stations has had a particularly strong performance year on year, with the leaders Capital and Magic achieving just 0.5 per cent and 2.9 per cent growth respectively.
Bauer Media’s Kiss 100 dropped 7.6 per cent of its listeners to record a reach of 1.86 million in Q2, although that was up one per cent on Q1 2014, and Heart London dipped 4.6 per cent to 1.84 million, which was a 1.7 per cent rise on Q1.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...
- Email Marketing and CRM Executive Brand Recruitment £23000 per annum + excellent benefits, Milton Keynes