British Gas profits hit by warm UK weather
British Gas-owner Centrica has revealed a 35% dip in profits over the first half of the year, as a result of the warmer weather experienced by the UK.
British Gas: says more customers are installing smart thermostats under its Hive brand
The energy firm has announced half-year operating profits of just over £1bn, down 35% on 2013, while profits from residential supply also fell by 26% to £265m.
The company blames the drop in profits on "lower [energy] consumption due to warmer than normal weather in the UK", as well as "energy efficiency measures". It expects the average customer bill to be around £90 lower in 2014 than the previous year.
British Gas said it aims to move 2.4 million residential customers to smart meters by the end of 2015. It claims 100,000 smart thermostats have been sold to date, with increased sales under its Hive brand.
Centrica chairman Rock Haythornthwaite said: "The first half of the year has seen challenging market conditions across the group, both as a result of the weather and reflecting the wider political environment."
Haythornthwaite also paid tribute to the "exceptional leadership" of chief executive Sam Laidlaw, who will step down at the end of the year after eight years running the business. He will be replaced by Iain Conn, head of refining and marketing at BP.
Earlier this month, it was announced that Birds Eye marketer Margaret Jobling is to join British Gas as brand and marketing director in October.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)