Waitrose: shock profit warning after upping investment in marketing
Waitrose has issued a profit warning and said a period of "unprecedented investment" in a variety of marketing initiatives, such as price-matching promotions, will hit first-half profits.
Managing director Mark Price issued the profit warning in the supermarket's weekly trading update today (1 August). The retailer's interim results are due on 11 September.
In a statement, Price said that the investment being made in online development, new shops and services would impact half-year profits.
Price said: "We are investing to enable us to compete effectively in this very tough market and to build a strong business for the future."
Waitrose has been trialling new formats including "grazing" areas and juice bars where customers can buy a deli platter and wine; mobile-enabled payments; and free hot and cold drinks for its myWaitrose loyalty members.
The retailer also said it has plans to launch a dedicated wine site called WaitroseCellar.com, that will allow shoppers to search for wines, read customer reviews and get recommendations from in-store experts.
It also invested heavily in its content marketing strategy in March, with an increased page-count for weekly newspaper Waitrose Weekend, an array of new columnists and investment in more content on its Waitrose TV channel.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London