Panasonic plots robot porters and wearable translators for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Panasonic's sponsorship of the 2020 Olympic Games, being held in Tokyo, will feature the brand investing in high-tech and innovative applications such as robot porters and wearable translation devices.
Panasonic: sponsor of the Tokyo 2020 Games
In an interview with Reuters, Masahiro Ido, the director of Panasonic's Olympics Enterprise Division, said the fact that the Games are being held on home ground would help spur new business development, with the aim of moving Panasonic's reliance away from the crowded and competitive consumer electronics sector.
He hinted at high-tech, innovative developments, including robot porters and wearable translation devices.
The consumer electronics giant has been an Olympic sponsor since 1998, but its involvement has mainly been focused on providing television screens to the host venues.
Panasonic's other proposals centred around the 2020 Olympics include eliminating cash with the use of payment cards, which would be accepted on trains, in shops and restaurants in Japan's capital.
Temperature control is also high on the agenda – the Japanese government has already said that cooling Tokyo will be a priority, with the Games taking place during the hot and humid summer months.
Panasonic's proposals include plans to create "cool spots" around the city, with solar-powered fans and mist-spraying jets using existing technology.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London