PepsiCo takes on Coke's Zico and Vita Coco with coconut water launch
PepsiCo has added coconut water to its Naked range in the UK, going head-to-head with rival products from Coca-Cola's Zico and Vita Coco.
PepsiCo: targeting fast-growing coconut water market
Naked Coconut Water hit UK shelves on 17 August, joining an existing portfolio of smoothies and juices.
"Coconut Water has seen significant growth in the UK over the last few years," said Naked’s marketing director, Adrian Baty. "Naked Coconut Water offers a great quality, 100% coconut water, and our research has told us that consumers see it fitting really well within the Naked range."
The coconut water category is already worth £22m in the UK, according to Nielsen statistics cited by PepsiCo. That is a more cautious outlook than the picture painted by market leader Vita Coco, with CEO Giles Brook claiming in April that the category would be worth £100m by the end of the year.
Naked Coconut Water has been available in the US since 2010 in additional flavours including peach, mango and pineapple. PepsiCo did not say whether it would offer different flavours in the UK, revealing only that the new product would be available in a white, 500ml tetra pack with a resealable cap for £2.39.
PepsiCo added it would run sampling events through the summer to drive awareness of the new product.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)