PepsiCo takes on Coke's Zico and Vita Coco with coconut water launch
PepsiCo has added coconut water to its Naked range in the UK, going head-to-head with rival products from Coca-Cola's Zico and Vita Coco.
PepsiCo: targeting fast-growing coconut water market
Naked Coconut Water hit UK shelves on 17 August, joining an existing portfolio of smoothies and juices.
"Coconut Water has seen significant growth in the UK over the last few years," said Naked’s marketing director, Adrian Baty. "Naked Coconut Water offers a great quality, 100% coconut water, and our research has told us that consumers see it fitting really well within the Naked range."
The coconut water category is already worth £22m in the UK, according to Nielsen statistics cited by PepsiCo. That is a more cautious outlook than the picture painted by market leader Vita Coco, with CEO Giles Brook claiming in April that the category would be worth £100m by the end of the year.
Naked Coconut Water has been available in the US since 2010 in additional flavours including peach, mango and pineapple. PepsiCo did not say whether it would offer different flavours in the UK, revealing only that the new product would be available in a white, 500ml tetra pack with a resealable cap for £2.39.
PepsiCo added it would run sampling events through the summer to drive awareness of the new product.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London