Coca-Cola Life launches as Coke steps up public health message
Coca-Cola Life, the brand's new lower-calorie drink, has rolled out to stores, with its UK and Ireland boss saying the product proves Coke's commitment to tackling the "challenge of obesity".
Coca-Cola Life: rolls out to UK supermarkets
Coca-Cola Life is a lower-calorie cola sweetened with a blend of sugar and Stevia, offering a third less sugar and a third fewer calories than red Coke.
The firm has been trialling the green-labelled product in Argentina and Chile. Its introduction to the UK marks the first new Coca-Cola variant in the market since the launch of Coke Zero eight years ago.
A marketing campaign announcing the product’s arrival is expected in the coming months.
Jon Woods, general manager, Coca-Cola UK and Ireland, said the new variant forms part of Coke’s wider £20m investment in anti-obesity projects. Woods argued the introduction of Coke Life will allow consumers choose a Coke drink which "best suits their lifestyle".
He added: "We recognise that many people want to reduce the sugar and calorie content of the drinks they enjoy, while still enjoying the taste. Over recent years we have innovated to reduce the calories in Sprite, Fanta, Dr Pepper, Lilt and Oasis, alongside providing a zero calorie version of every main brand in our portfolio.
"We are committed to working with others across society to promote well-being and help address the public health challenge of obesity. As part of these efforts, we’ve taken steps to provide consumers with more drink choices, including more lower calorie drinks and smaller pack sizes as well as a significant investment to support programmes to help people become more physically active."
Coca-Cola Life cans arrived in the Marketing office yesterday (20 August) – see our verdict below.
Very exciting - some Coca-Cola Life has arrived in the office! We'll give you our verdict later today :) pic.twitter.com/dlcNPM8Gmx— Marketing Magazine (@MarketingUK) August 20, 2014
The verdict? Definitely lighter than usual Coke, the Coca-Cola & Diet Coke devotees seem unswayed but positive noises from the team :)— Marketing Magazine (@MarketingUK) August 20, 2014
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)