John Lewis ends free tea and cake perk for loyalty scheme members
John Lewis is retracting its offer of free tea and cake to loyalty card members, one of the scheme's key perks, after claiming its cafés become "extremely busy" during the Christmas period.
John Lewis: ends free tea and cake promotion
The retailer launched its "my John Lewis" card last year, following a 12 month trial. Members were offered a number of benefits, including free tea or coffee and cake every month, regular prize draws and invites to exclusive local events.
However, a year on, John Lewis has changed the terms of the deal, meaning the perk – worth approximately £5 – will only be offered to cardholders dependent on the frequency and type of spending in stores.
A John Lewis spokesperson said: "As we approach our busy Christmas period, we will be reducing the number of hot drink and cake vouchers issued to customers as our cafes and restaurants become extremely busy during this time.
"All 'my John Lewis' member rewards are continually reviewed and the rewards our members receive in future do depend on a variety of factors."
Earlier this summer, the retailer came under pressure from a Change.org petition demanding it pay its cleaners a living wage of £8.80 in London and £7.65 in the rest of the UK.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)