Colgate rapped over 'superior' claim
The Advertising Standards Authority has upheld a complaint against claims made in advertisements for Colgate's whitening toothpaste.
GlaxoSmithKline, which produces rival brands such as Aquafresh and Macleans, challenged Colgate's claim that its new toothpaste offered "superior whitening" to all other brands on the market.
The ASA said that Colgate's tests were insufficient because two thirds had been on cow teeth and the results were also out of date.
Colgate argued that it had not intended to make a direct comparison with similar products but were referring to the high quality of the toothpaste. Colgate produced results of the three tests, which demonstrated that its product was the best performer. It claimed that the tests represented almost the entire market share in 1997. However, by the time of the ad, the tests represented just over three-quarters of the market share.
The ASA decided that Colgate's claims were not proven and Colgate has not used the same claim since.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...