Nestle plays down Saddam's endorsement of Quality Street
LONDON - Nestle has moved to quash stories that they are pleased to be associated with Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, after he showed his fondness for its Quality Street brand in an interview with maverick MP, George Galloway.
Speaking to Brand Republic, a spokeswoman for Nestlé commented: "We didn't say we were pleased, merely interested to learn about it. It has got people talking about the brand, but is a bit over the top."
Nestle exports to the Middle East, and the Quality Street brand claims to be the world's top selling boxed chocolate.
Current UN trade sanctions mean that chocolates such as Quality Street are not available from the bazaars of Baghdad, so it is unlikely that Nestlé sees Iraq as a potential target for a confectionery boom.
Saddam, who is second only to Osama bin Laden in the 'Most Wanted' stakes, is an unusual figure for boosting brand awareness, although politicians such as Henry Kissinger have been associated with other global brands in the past.
Besides Saddam, well known Quality Street fans include slightly less sinister celebrities such as Jilly Cooper, Peter Stringfellow, Gary Rhodes and Lily Savage.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)