BBC signs news-sharing agreement with Al Jazeera
LONDON - The BBC and Al Jazeera have signed a newsgathering agreement that will see the two broadcasters share material and on-the-ground facilities.
Al Jazeera, the Qatar-based news network that broadcasts in Arabic, has made its name with exclusive recordings and footage of Osama bin Laden in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.
It is now attempting to capitalise on the growing interest in Middle Eastern affairs -- especially with the threat of a second Gulf war -- by stepping up its global presence.
Adrian van Klaveren, head of newsgathering at BBC News, said: "Al Jazeera has established itself as a major international broadcaster. By working alongside it in our newsgathering activities, we will be able to provide more comprehensive service to the BBC's audiences in both the UK and around the world."
The agreement could see the BBC given access to Al Jazeera's uplink in Kabul, and other locations where it has equipment.
The BBC has similar agreements with other news organisations, including ABC in the US and NHK in Japan.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Designer (Packaging, Brochure, POS, Retouching) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer (Branding, Marketing, POS, Packaging) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London