DIARY: Wnek and Beattie add advice to their offering
"If what you really want to do is be in the film or TV business, go into the film or TV business. The advertising business is no longer a stepping stone to Hollywood."
Wise words from Euro RSCG Wnek Gosper's Mark Wnek, although we suspect that if MGM or Warner Brothers offered him a couple of million to turn his latest Peugeot commercial into a romantic comedy he wouldn't be one to turn it down.
Wnek's cautionary tale features in Moving on up: Inspirational Advice to Change Your Life, a new book by Sarah Brown (aka Mrs Gordon Brown). Other adland luminaries giving their tuppence-worth include the Grey new-business director, Nicola Mendelsohn, who cites "a creative flair and a love of commercials" as vital for a successful career in the business. It was no doubt this very same creative flair and love of commercials that took her out of Bartle Bogle Hegarty and into the hotshop Grey. It all makes sense.
Other celebrities featured include BBH's John Hegarty, BMP DDB's Chris Powell, the WPP group chief executive, Sir Martin Sorrell, and, of course, TBWA/ London's chairman and executive creative director, Trevor Beattie.
Trev's advice, given to him by Muhammad Ali, is that the greatest thing you can give another person is your time. And, strangely, there in the sport section between Sir Alex Ferguson and Kriss Akabusi, is a piece by "The Greatest" himself, in which he liberally quotes Beattie. Don't you just love mutual appreciation?
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Manager - Leading App Company - Ad Operations Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + bonus, London
- Group Account Director and Business Director air recruitment Up to £75k dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Planner Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £55,000, London
- Senior CRM Planner Direct Recruitment £80,000 - £95,000, Central London