Diageo sells off Translucis network
Diageo has sold Translucis, its network of in-bar advertising screens, signalling the end of its two-year dalliance in media ownership.
The sale of Translucis and its Magnetic plasma screen network to Avanti, the broadband telecoms specialist, comes just a few weeks after Diageo closed Nightfly, its mobile marketing service.
Both brands were launched in 2001to build on Diageo's established expertise and relationship with the on-trade.
Graham Sumeray, managing director of Diageo's new business ventures, said Translucis needed to be sold so the network could grow.
The deal is expected to achieve significant economies of scale for both operators by marrying Translucis' media sales capability, content library and customer base with Avanti's experience in developing retail TV networks.
Translucis broadcasts a mixture of satellite-fed ads for Diageo products and other brands, including competitors' drinks, along with editorial content such as extreme sports footage or music videos. It operates 250 screens throughout the UK.
Within a few months of launch it had signed distribution deals with a number of bar owners, including Scottish & Newcastle, Whitbread, Po Na Na and the National Union of Students. The network was branded Magnetic at the beginning of last year.
Diageo claimed Magnetic's unique selling point was its ability to reach the fickle and elusive group of 18- to 24-year-olds, with the capacity to tailor content for each venue.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Campaign Delivery Executive Stopgap £20000 - £23000 per annum, London
- Strategic Planner - to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London