Diageo sells off Translucis network
Diageo has sold Translucis, its network of in-bar advertising screens, signalling the end of its two-year dalliance in media ownership.
The sale of Translucis and its Magnetic plasma screen network to Avanti, the broadband telecoms specialist, comes just a few weeks after Diageo closed Nightfly, its mobile marketing service.
Both brands were launched in 2001to build on Diageo's established expertise and relationship with the on-trade.
Graham Sumeray, managing director of Diageo's new business ventures, said Translucis needed to be sold so the network could grow.
The deal is expected to achieve significant economies of scale for both operators by marrying Translucis' media sales capability, content library and customer base with Avanti's experience in developing retail TV networks.
Translucis broadcasts a mixture of satellite-fed ads for Diageo products and other brands, including competitors' drinks, along with editorial content such as extreme sports footage or music videos. It operates 250 screens throughout the UK.
Within a few months of launch it had signed distribution deals with a number of bar owners, including Scottish & Newcastle, Whitbread, Po Na Na and the National Union of Students. The network was branded Magnetic at the beginning of last year.
Diageo claimed Magnetic's unique selling point was its ability to reach the fickle and elusive group of 18- to 24-year-olds, with the capacity to tailor content for each venue.
This article was first published on Marketing
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...