Pepsi introduces new slogan and changes tack on celebs
NEW YORK - Pepsi Cola has changed tack from its celebrity-intense advertising as it unveils a new campaign that sees the introduction of the 'Pepsi. It's the Cola' slogan to replace the 'Joy of Pepsi'.
The advertising, created by long-time agency BBDO New York, pushes Pepsi as the ideal drink to have with food. The advertising does feature one celebrity, the US comedian Dave Chappelle, who has appeared in movies including 'Undercover Brother'. But it is a change from the high-profile celebrity-led campaigns that have seen Beyonce and Britney Spears singing the 'Joy of Pepsi' anthem.
There are three different spots in the first phase of the campaign. "Summer job" shows how Pepsi brings together two young adults who are working in an unglamorous job. Another celebrates the NFL and the American tradition of "tailgating" -- having a party out of the car before a match in the parking lot.
The third spot features Chappelle, who has a few close calls with a robot vacuum cleaner while preparing for a date. The ads are due to break this weekend during football matches, and will also be seen in popular shows and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Dave Burwick, senior vice-president and chief marketing officer of Pepsi-Cola North America, said: "We're always been good at communicating Pepsi's brand image -- spirited, spontaneous, contemporary and exciting -- but now it's time we shine the light on the product itself."
Pepsi is also investing in a large outdoor campaign, which will show foods expressing their love for Pepsi, including a strand of spaghetti lassoing a Pepsi. Radio and online ads will follow.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital & Print Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £33000 per annum + amazing bonus scheme & benefits, London
- Experienced Digital Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £4000 - £50000 per annum + commission + excellent benefits, London
- Consumer Account Manager Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + OUTSTANDING commission, London
- Marketing & Communications Manager Stopgap £40000 per annum, City of London