Vodafone poaches WPP's Wheldon for top marketing role
WPP has been dealt a blow with the news that David Wheldon, the group chief executive officer of its Team Vodafone division, is to join Vodafone.
Wheldon, who is on a year's notice, will take on a senior role reporting to the global brand director, David Haines. The post will see him installed above Vodafone's global marketing communications director, Neil Simpson.
Wheldon was recently responsible for marshalling two creative groups from J. Walter Thompson and Red Cell to challenge Wieden & Kennedy Amsterdam's position as the lead creative agency on the £250 million global Vodafone account.
Until now, WPP, through JWT, has acted as Vodafone's global network, with W&K as the creative supplier, providing the overall strategy.
Before joining WPP, Wheldon held the post of UK chief executive for the Tempus-owned CIA Medianetwork.
His CV, which extends across both the creative agency and client arenas, includes stints as the global head of marketing and latterly the European marketing director for Coca-Cola. Before being offered the role at CIA, he was the president of BBDO Europe and has been a managing partner at WCRS and the managing director of Lowe Howard-Spink.
This article was first published on Campaign
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...