'Mesmerising' cog spot wins creative platinum for W&K
LONDON - Wieden & Kennedy's 'cog' spot has won platinum honours at this year's Creative Circle awards with the judges describing the ad as a 'mesmerising piece of film' that had changed car advertising.
Leo Burnett creative director Mike McKenna, chairman of the jury, said that questions about what had inspired the advertisement had been of little consequence in choosing the Honda ad as the winner.
But as well as congratulating the agency behind the ad, McKenna asked of the clients.
"But what about the client? Surely someone from the Slough office deserves to be recognised for having the vision, the tenacity and the Niagaras for getting the thing made. I believe that person is Simon Thompson. Congratulations."
While being heralded for being innovative, the two-minute "cog" spot was accused of copying a short film by Swiss artists Fischli and Weiss called 'Der Lauf Der Dinge' but this has not hindered its progress at awards ceremonies, where it has been widely lauded.
DDB London and TBWA\London both won four gold honours from the jury, with DDB's "bollocks" campaign for Volkswagen diesel work and Polo poster work proving to be winning campaigns. TBWA was awarded gold for its work on Sony PlayStation2.
Lowe won three golds for work on Quality Street and Reebok while WCRS won the gold award for best campaign for its work on 118 118 The Number.
Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy's use of much-loved television presenter Alan Whicker in the Travelocity ads saw it win a gold for best use of a famous personality.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)