Burberry axes baseball cap due to football hooligan links
LONDON – Upmarket clothing label Burberry has dropped its check-pattern baseball cap because of its association with football hooligans and thugs.
The clothes brand has ordered manufacturers to discontinue the range of caps and clear shelves after numerous pictures in the media showed louts wearing the £50 headwear being arrested.
The cap has become favoured by professional hooligans such as Cardiff City's "Soul Crew", whose favoured "uniform" of Burberry and Aquascutum clothes have become as distinctive as those of the police who arrest them.
The label was called into disrepute last year when football hooligans calling themselves "The Burberry Boys" ran riot at the England v Turkey match in Sunderland, attacking a coach full of Turkish fans.
Last month, two Leicester pubs told staff to turn away anyone wearing the famous black-and-tan check clothing.
Cult website Chavscum, which sends up louts and hooligans for their terrible sense in dress, has a section devoted to Burberry cap wearers and every week runs a competition to find "Chav of the Week" from pictures sent in by users. More often than not the "chav" is wearing a Burberry item of clothing.
A source said: "The Burberry check has run its course. It has caused the company problems and it's wise to wind down."
The brand was founded by UK-born Thomas Burberry in 1856 and became famous for its gabardine waterproof raincoat and its kitting out of officers in the British armed forces during World War I. Today it has stores all over the world, including a flagship store in Knightsbrige.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London